The winding resistance test of transformers is one of the most effective non-intrusive ways of checking their condition. Besides transformers, this device can also be used for resistance measurement of other inductive test objects, such as electrical motors and generators.
Another widely used transformer routine test is the turns ratio test, which can reveal problems in both windings and magnetic cores. AC test voltage is used for this test, and with this method, it is also possible to verify the turns ratio of current and voltage instrument transformers.
These two essential transformer tests can now be done quickly using these extremely lightweight and battery-powered devices. The list of the instruments’ other applications includes:
- Turns ratio deviation calculation
- Excitation current measurement of distribution and instrument transformers
- Phase angle measurement of distribution and instrument transformers
- Polarity check of instrument transformers
- Demagnetization of distribution and instrument transformers, motors, and generators